My little corner of the web to brighten and encourage.

Monday, January 7, 2013

the horrible blogger award

Yes, I know, what self respectin' blogger does not blog for Christmas or New Year's? 

I'm afraid that I have the same old excuse....I've been busy. Yes, I know, you've heard it before. But let me catch you up on what I've been up to.

First of all, I've been going through and editing the pictures from the wedding I shot. I took around 1,400 pictures, and I edited 339. If you're a photographer who edits their photos, you know how long that takes. I had to have them ready for last Saturday, January 5th, for the bride's reception at our home church. So between that and natural holiday relaxation, plus a ton of reading and my 21st birthday, things have been hectic. 

If you didn't catch that, Friday I turned 21 years old. As a kid, I couldn't even imagine being 21. 18 was hard enough to imagine. Yet, here I am, the age that most people can't wait to get to. And it feels pretty much like any other age. ;) 

Saturday I got to see a lot of friends I haven't seen in a while at the reception. Which honestly, made it kind of hard to keep my mind on snapping photos when I so badly wanted to catch up with them, but I got to do both. 

After the reception, two of the friends I haven't seen in a while and I went to Chic-Fil-A and then Starbucks.

Faith, me, and Ashlie. Yes, they're sisters. 

We talked and talked and giggled and talked some more. It was so great to be with them again. Sunday morning my family and I went to Megan's church and spent the afternoon with them. Then, Sunday night Ashlie came to our church with a couple of friends from college. We had a college and career activity afterwards, and had a blast talking, playing taboo, and then talking some more after everyone left. It was a very good birthday weekend. 

I've been reading the Hunger Games trilogy. It took me a while to decide how I felt about it. I read tons of reviews, but most of them seemed to imply that the series was gory and shallow. It wasn't until my best friend Megan described it to me, that I realized that the series was much deeper than I thought it would be. So I got the first book from the library and started reading. I wasn't impressed at first, and almost put it down, but decided to go ahead and finish it anyway. It got way better from there, and when I finished the book at midnight, I stayed awake for another hour just thinking about it. My mind was racing, thinking of the characters, their motives, and wondering where this fascinating story would go next. I got the second book as soon as I could, and soon finished that one as well. By the time I'd finished it, I'd decided to buy the whole trilogy in hardback books. Waiting for them to come in to read the third book was torture. But now, I have them, and am on page 79. I'll admit, that when I first heard about the Hunger Games, I was very skeptical. A series about children killing children? I couldn't understand everyone's fascination. But now, I understand a little better. The series was written excellently, with a story that grips you, and leaves you panting for the next book. The characters become like old friends, especially by the third book. True, they show children being forced to kill each other to survive, and I don't condone that. But if people don't wake up and smell the roses, that could very well happen to America. We're not that far from a dictatorship, and if they did succeed in taking away our weapons, Panem could truly be closer than we think .The series is an eye opener for Americans on what can happen if we continue to not care. For if we cannot control ourselves, then someone else will. 

So anyways, didn't mean to get on that political tangent. But you might want to give the Hunger Games a chance. I would suggest for the reader to be 15 years old or older, especially if you have a vivid imagination. These books are about survival, so they can become bloody. I found that they weren't too gruesome, but you may disagree. I caught a couple of cuss words in the first book, but I didn't see any in the second book, and I haven't seen any yet in the third one. 

Hopefully soon I'll have some outfit posts to show ya'll. 

Have a great Monday! 


No comments:

Post a Comment