I was simply washing my hands in the bathroom of Cracker Barrel before we ate dinner. Looking down at the water, I suddenly heard the words, "Oh my word, you're drop dead gorgeous!" I looked up, wondering who the voice was talking about, when I was startled to realize that the 12 year old young girl with her friend behind her was gaping at me! I said, "Uh, thank you." And continued washing my hands, probably blushing from the still gaping girl. Her friend called her weird for saying that to a complete stranger, while she continued to say, "But it's true! She is!"
At first I took it as an amusing, random happening that I shared and joked with my family about. But then, as I thought about it more, I realized something. The Lord has helped me accomplish a goal I had set in my life.
I was wearing this outfit with my hair straightened and pulled half way back, with my only makeup being eye shadow and mascara. I was just going out with my family for a post Valentine dinner, doing my best to look modest and feminine while still feeling comfortable.
The goal I have is to prove to ladies that modesty doesn't equal frumpy. You can be cute, and even trendy if you want within the guidelines of staying modest. Also, that modesty isn't the only important thing. God made you female, so you should dress feminine as well as modest. Before I realized that I dressed modest, but quite a few of my shirts could've been worn by a man. I didn't understand the importance of being feminine, being undeniably my gender, as God had made me. Femininity is too often considered a weakness in today's day and age, when honestly, it is a strength. That's why I have this blog. Not only to journal happenings in my life, but to hopefully be a help and encouragement to other young ladies around the world.
So back to my story. It was an encouragement to me that this impressionable, young girl could look at me, a skirt wearing, high neckline, with minimal makeup, teeter-totterer between misses and plus size in a world that frowns on anyone that's not stick thin woman and think I was beautiful. My prayer is that both of these young ladies grow up to realize that beauty is not defined by Hollywood, and that God has made us each and everyone uniquely beautiful. I also pray that someone would give them the gospel, and that maybe the Lord used me to plant the seed for them to listen to another Christian later on. I wanted to give them both a tract, but something happened immediately after that prevented me from doing that. And once I left the bathroom, neither girl was in sight.
I hope that with the Lord's help, that He will use me to make an impression in other women and girl's lives throughout my life.
That's awesome! Thank you for sharing!
ReplyDeleteWhat a great experience! :) It's so neat that your modesty was considered lovely by that girl!
ReplyDelete