My little corner of the web to brighten and encourage.

Tuesday, July 24, 2012

outfit post {and a few tips}

On my last post I had a friend comment that they'd like to see more outfit posts. I had been thinking about it, but due to extremely hot weather I've been living in jean skirts, tshirts and pony tails. On Sundays, I usually don't have the time to take pictures, because we're usually in a rush. 

BUT this week we're having a revival meeting every night Monday-Thursday. So, I figured I could share some of the outfits for the night services. :)

Here's last night's outfit. 

Something really must be done about my horrid, self-outfit portraits. Outside's been too muddy, and there's not enough room inside for using my tripod. So pray that I find a solution for this. ;) 

Ok, I'd like to talk about makeup, the differences with and without, and my reasons for the makeup I use. 

First, here's a picture of me without makeup. 

(This was taken before I figured the best way to use my lighting, so please forgive the extreme differences in lighting between this and the next picture) 

In this picture, I have on mascara, eye shadow, and a touch of sheer lip gloss. The lighting is the reason why my skin looks so much lighter in the previous picture. Sorry about that. 

Now, here's my reasons for the makeup I wear. 

mascara: I like the long eye lash look. I always have. I believe that even without eye shadow, the mascara adds a soft feminine touch to your face. 

eye shadow: I don't believe in using crazy colors. That's just my personal preference. I usually use brown eye shadow with darker outfits, and my purple eye shadow (I wouldn't have normally picked that color, but someone gave it to me) for lighter or brighter outfits. I'm wearing the purple eye shadow here. I think it's not as bold as blue or green eye shadow with my complexion. But I do think those colors are ok if you have blue or green eyes. 

lip gloss: I don't usually do much with my lips. Partly because I don't want to draw unnecessary attention to them using bright lipstick, and partly because it gets in my way when I drink or eat something, which usually we do on the way to church. Plus, my lips are rather full, so I look pretty ridiculous with darker lips. 

Here are the reasons I don't use more makeup. I believe that eyeliner can be a great tool, but it can be very difficult to use correctly. So far, no one has been able to apply eyeliner on me correctly, except for one girl, and we don't see each other anymore. It's just too easy to accidentally make the raccoon effect. 

I do own powder and foundation, but once again, they usually get in my way. All I do is wash my face, and usually put lotion to keep my skin soft and moisturized. When I get to church, if my face is shiny, I just pat the oil off with a piece of toilet paper. 

Blush is ok, but I haven't gotten any more since my last one shattered, and I don't really miss it. 

If you have any questions, please let me know. 

Now, back to the outfit! 

my $2 earrings from the clearance rack at Cato

zebra necklace that's been sitting in my jewelry box for a few years. Not enough to wear with it! 

zebra and blue flower skirt from resale shop for $6. 
Black bow heels from Target for $13. I'm definitely getting my money's worth out of them! 

blue shirt (in my fav shade of  blue) borrowed from my mom. Love the ruffles! 

Once again, so sorry for the not so great outfit pics. Maybe when it gets cooler and drier I'll be able to take outfit pics outside with my tripod. 

By the way, I've been looking at some alternative hair care ideas. One that got me interested was Elle at Elle Apparel . Then, I looked up "no shampoo method" and found this website. I'm really considering it now. 

Do any of ya'll use the "no shampoo method"? What products do you use? Any advice you can give someone who's interested? 


7 comments:

  1. I like your shirt! And your shoes are super cute too!

    Your complexion is really nice! I generally only use makeup to tone down red blotches and conceal acne, but it doesnt seem like you have those problems...I'm jealous.(;

    If you do try the no shampoo method, I'd love to hear how it goes! I've heard so many good things about it but never got up the nerve to try it myself.

    ~Vicki
    deckedoutinruffles.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks about the shirt and shoes, and my complexion! It's not always clear, but I'm thankful for a decently clear complexion. Now, if only I could do something about those chubby cheeks! LOL. And I will definitely share how the no shampoo method works, if I ever get to do it. :)

      Delete
  2. I never would have thought to put zebra print and that color blue together=). I love it! I'm gonna look for a shirt like that, it's really cute =).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! :) This is my mom's shirt, and she got it from Cato. I got a white one exactly like it, but they went so fast that I never got to get the blue one. It's my favorite shade of blue. :)

      Delete
    2. Bummer=/ I guess I'll just have to look around at other stores.=) BTW I love those black high heels you're wearing in the pic;).

      Delete
  3. I adore that skirt!! :)I would have worn it with a tank top but it looks lovely that way too!! Lovely shoes as well

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Cindy! I have a hard time finding tank tops that fit me right, but you're right, it would've made a lovely, cool summer look. Thank you for commenting! :D

      Delete