My little corner of the web to brighten and encourage.

Thursday, January 10, 2013

Sherlock Holmes

*Warning* this post is assuredly going to be a long rant about Sherlock Holmes. If you do not care for mysteries or Sherlock, I suggest you not continue. You've been warned. ;) 

I recently watched the new Sherlock Holmes movies with Robert Downey Jr. for the first time. I had heard that the first one wasn't so good, but I watched it to understand the characters before watching the Game of Shadows. The Game of Shadows was definitely better than the first one. If you've known me for any length of time, you know that I love mysteries, but especially Sherlock Holmes. I recently found the complete Sherlock Holmes from Barnes and Noble via eBay. It was only $20 and it's completely beautiful. It's leather bound, with beautiful artwork and a ribbon marker built in. I'm not only a devoted reader, but also a lover of beautiful books. 


Anyways, on to the movies.


I'll admit, that Robert Downey Jr. would not have been my first choice to cast as Sherlock. Sherlock Holmes is described as tall and thin with a long thin face. But, despite the looks, Robert Downey Jr. plays an excellent Holmes. 

I personally think that the best actor ever cast for Sherlock Holmes was Jeremy Brett.


Jeremy Brett has excellent acting skills, and for me will always be the face of Sherlock.

But, for these movies, Robert Downey Jr. did excellent. He's hilarious while keeping a straight face, and has the quirky way of acting of Sherlock Holmes. One thing that always irritated me with all the different Sherlock series and movies I've seen, is that they show Sherlock to be a gentleman. Not that Sherlock was ever intentionally disrespectful, he's just too distracted by his observations or whatever case he's on to observe all the rules of etiquette in England society. He's what you'd call a driven man, with a very single track mind. Several times in the book Sherlock insults someone due to his lack of etiquette because he's preoccupied, and usually Dr. Watson has to explain for him. But most movies I've seen didn't show that. Robert Downey Jr. was the first I saw to bring that characteristic of Sherlock to the movie screen. 

See what I mean? Totally absorbed.

I'll admit, I like their choice for Dr. Watson. He looks the part, is a good actor, and works well with Downey. They really play their parts well as two best friends that are as close as brothers. Their constant banter is hilarious. Although I don't really like Mary. I agree with Sherlock on that one. 


I loved all the funny moments. They make a normally dark movie lighter.


Haha, Sherlock's many disguises.


They picked a perfect Lastrade, although he's not much in the second movie. Clueless as ever.


I like the character of Irene Adler, even though she's in only one of Sherlock Holmes' cases. She's one of the few people to have ever outsmarted Sherlock, and for that reason, he finds her intriguing. I'm glad she was in the movie. 
 
I thought Sim was a good character to add to the second movie, although I don't remember her in any of the cases. She's a tough, resourceful woman that adds a good flavor to the second movie. I'm glad that they didn't add any interest between her and Sherlock though. 


When I first saw Professor Moriarty I thought, "That's him? That can't be him." He just didn't look evil enough. Definitely didn't look like a threat. Just an intelligent professor that's biggest crime might be using incorrect grammar. But as the movie went on, I thought about it. That's exactly what he needed to look like, harmless. One of the reasons he was so dangerous was because people underestimated him. Never realizing that the innocent booky looking professor had one of the greatest criminal minds of all time, one that could match the world's greatest detective. So I guess he was a good choice. He did play the part well. 


And what SH movie review would be complete without Gladstone? 

Poor Gladstone, always getting experimented on. :) He adds more comedic scenes between Sherlock and Watson. 

So what's your opinion of Sherlock Holmes? 

Did you like the movies? 

1 comment:

  1. I'm currently drooling over that copy of Sherlock Holmes. I do have a book that is the complete Sherlock Holmes, but it's nowhere near as pretty!(;
    I do really love Sherlock Holmes...the stories, the characters, the mysteries and Holmes' deductions. I also really like the movies as well (and also a couple of the television series). Robert Downey Jr. makes an excellent Holmes, as does Jeremy Brett (the first actor I saw portraying the great detective, and because of that, probably my favorite) and Benedict Cumberbatch. These three also do a wonderful job (though in different ways) of portraying Holmes' eccentricities.

    ~Vicki
    Decked Out in Ruffles

    ReplyDelete