My little corner of the web to brighten and encourage.

Saturday, July 28, 2012

Pride and Prejudice {book review}

I'll admit, that when I began reading this book, I wasn't sure that it would catch my interest.

I saw the newer movie once, and fell in love with their way of speaking, the music, and the actors and actresses. I'll admit also, that I didn't really understand the characters until I read the book. Now, they have become like old friends. I haven't seen the older movie that everyone seems to love, but I can't bring myself to accept the different actors. Especially now that I've read the book, the actors from the new movie are permanently fixed in my mind as the characters in the book. Therefore, as I write this review, I'll use pictures from the newer movie.

I've never done a book review before, so here goes! 

(Sorry for the graininess)


I liked Lizzy from the beginning. Maybe it was our common love of books, and her way of observing people. People watchers are usually pretty interesting people themselves. She has common sense, and enjoys intelligent conversations, even if they turn into debate (another similarity between us. ^_-). 

I loved the fact that she had strengths as well as weaknesses, which I believe to be a necessary trait in book characters. 

Mr. Bennett, the father, cracked me up from the beginning. Though I became rather irritated at his lack of caring and leading his family towards the middle of the book. But, I think he redeemed himself before the end.

Jane is one of the most beautiful characters I've ever met in a book, inside as well as out. Her ability to find the good in anyone showed her kind, forgiving heart. She made me want to protect her, like Elizabeth did. Even though she was sometimes deceived because of her lack of finding fault, she was by no means a "dumb blonde". 

Bingely, honestly aggravated me because of his lack of depth and backbone. I believe he is a very good man, but like Mr. Bennett said, everyone would take advantage of him and Jane because of their gentle natures. 


Now, I left my very favorite character for last. Mr. Darcy caught my attention from the very beginning. In the movie, but much more so in the book. I didn't fall "in love" with him like many girls I've talked to. I loved how he was misunderstood at the beginning. It almost seemed like you were expected to hate him, feeling towards him  like every other character in the book. But from the beginning, there's a sense of something more that Jane Austen alludes to. He's not like Bingely, who is perfectly understood and completely known all about from that first ball. Bingely hides nothing. Mr. Darcy's character is in a class all it's own. He did things unexpectedly, because the reader cannot fully know the kind of man he is, until he allows the reader to understand him. Honestly, I could go on and on, but I won't. ;)

I won't give a summery of the book, one because it's too long, and two, so you'll read it yourself. ;) 

But I would like to comment on the authoress herself. I admire her a lot, for having the ability to keep a reader's attention through 479 pages. I don't believe that many authors could. And except for a couple of slow parts where nothing was really happening, it flowed remarkably well. And to give her the credit, it was important, I believe, to have those places to keep the reader in suspense, and waiting for something to happen. And any book that makes me smile and sigh at the end, fully in love with the characters, who were made real people to me, is a good book. :) 

So here's my ratings. 

moral ratings: 4 out of 5 
character development: 5 out of 5
believable story content: 5 out of 5
correct language and events for the time period: 5 out of 5
probability of reading a second time: 5 out of 5 

So what did you think of my first book review?

Would you like me to do more?

Are you more likely to read "Pride and Prejudice" after reading this review? 


1 comment:

  1. wow, you simply MUST watch the older movie series!! it is so much better, especially in period costume and manners!! i do like the newer movie, especially the movie, but it annoys me a bit! i really want to read the book though :)

    ReplyDelete