My little corner of the web to brighten and encourage.

Saturday, May 26, 2012

DIY Dreams

Hi there!

So I'm sitting here at my desk, with a baby hanging on to my skirt, trying to stand up. But I was determined to write this post. I've been wanting to write it all week, but I've been so busy with other things.

One thing I've been preoccupied with this week was DIYs. Ya know, Do It Yourself?

I have a couple of blogs that have been very inspirational, so I'd like to share them with you.

 

This lady has some awesome, simple ideas, and she makes some lovely, fashionable stuff for a percentage of the price in the store. Being a jeweler myself, I know. 

So, I'd love to try out this DIY. It's actually even simpler then most of the stuff I make. 


I am very simply in love with this dress, and right now, I want to make 20 of them. 
 
No, I'm serious.

The tutorial is so easy, along with lots of other cute tutorials on her blog. She has how to make your own tribal pattern tee, tote bags, cinched shirts, and other cool stuff. 

Honestly, I haven't sewn with a sewing machine in a long time, but I desperately want to make a dress like this. I look in the stores, and the maxi dresses are always either a deep v-neck, fits weird at the top, or is just plain ugly. This dress is as easy to make as a pillowcase, and you can make it just for you. 

So then, I've been looking at fabric on the Jo-ann fabric's website, and discovered something.

I love way too many fabrics. 

So when I go to the store to shop, it's gonna be mostly what's on sale. 

But here's some of the fabrics I like (besides solid colors.)


I think this would be fun for summer.


I like this one better then the one above.


Those are just a few of the prints I like. And for solid colors I like kelly green, coral, dark purple, grey, turquoise, and black. 

I'll probably hold off on the grey and the black until autumn. Oh, and I might do an autumn orange too. 
 
Besides making a dress like the one above, I'm also thinking of making a few sleeveless dresses (because I'm horrible at doing sleeves), and then wearing a matching shrug with it. Believe me, if it's not easy, I don't do it. I guess I'm just too lazy. ;) 
 
But right now, I'm asking around if anyone needs a babysitter, photographer, or house cleaner. I have lots of stuff coming up this year, and most of it cost money. Including making these dresses. And of course, I'm also reminding folks about my jewelry for sale. ;) 

So what are your plans for the summer?

Do you like to sew? 




2 comments:

  1. I love DIY projects too :D
    love the dress and the necklace :)
    kisses,

    http://annacoman.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for sharing the DIY Kristen! I am going to have to check out the dress too!
    I am always up for a new project:)
    Have a beautiful weekend!
    Anna

    ReplyDelete