I've been thinking about this a good bit recently, but just hadn't organized my thoughts and the subjects I wanted to cover. It took me a good many years to figure out what styles defined me, and worked the best for me. I think it's something every young lady should discover about themselves. If you like what you're wearing, and are comfortable in it, you not only feel more relaxed, but you also feel more confident, and are more effective in the things you need and want to do. That's just how we as women are. If you feel frumpy, or claustrophobic, or drab in the outfit you're in, you tend to be more shy, and less likely to be yourself. I should also mention, that if you're trying to make yourself a copy of someone you admire, you still will not be comfortable. It's ok to get ideas from other people, but don't try to make yourself a clone of someone else.
Now, here is the body the Lord has so graciously given me. It's in great working condition, and get's me from point A to point B (almost sounds like I'm talking about a car, huh?) I wouldn't make it on a magazine cover, or get the most Beautiful Woman of the Year Award, but really, I'm ok with that. I'm 5'3", a little chubby, and always on the line between misses and plus size. Instead of bewailing the fact that I don't have a figure like Ginger on Gilligan's Island, I've made the decision to be happy, content, and comfortable in the body I'm in. So I'm going to dress the body I have, and find out what are the do's and don'ts for me, Kristen.
Here are some things I've discovered so far that work for me.


The two skirt lengths that look the best on me are right-past-the-knee length and maxi length. Mid-calf length, or Midi, make me look wider and don't compliment my short, wide legs. Straight down skirts look the best on me, or sometimes I can wear a skirt with flair, but it has to be long, and fall straight down when I'm standing still.

I think this style is very cute, but I personally would not be able to wear it without looking way bigger than I am. I wouldn't be comfortable, because I would know that the style doesn't look right on me. I have a few skirts with pleats, but I have to be careful that they don't poof out.

I used to think that I couldn't wear certain colors, navy for instance, because I felt they looked drab on me with my dark coloring. But turns out, I just needed to put a lighter, complimentary color with that dark neutral that makes it fun to wear, and very versatile. I now enjoy many colors that I used to think were out of my range. Try experimenting with colors and styles you wouldn't think would look good on you. You many be surprised what works for you.

I was wondering, could a peplum top work for me? I see them styled with pants a lot. Would they look frumpy with a skirt?

I think that for a peplum top to work with a skirt, the skirt MUST be straight down, like a pencil or maxi skirt. I also like the skinny or wide belt right above the flair of the peplum.
I wore this peplum shirt with a belt over a maxi dress, and love how it came out!
Now, here's a good question. Is it ok to wear a scarf and belt in the same outfit? I've experimented and looked around to find the answer.

I think that if you wear an infinity scarf (which you can easily turn any scarf into an infinity scarf) with the belt, then I think it looks great, like in the picture above. If you wear the scarf hanging down with a belt, it can seem like too much, and conflict with each other.
Next question. Bracelet or ring? I actually base that decision off of the length of my sleeves. I don't like wearing bracelets and rings together, because just in my opinion, it's too much. I have short wide arms, so I've discovered what looks best on me. If the sleeve stops anywhere above my elbow, I'll wear a bracelet. But if the sleeve covers my elbow, or is three-quarter sleeve or long sleeve, I'll wear a ring. The reason for that is, if I wear a bracelet with three quarter sleeve, it divides my arm into small sections, making my arms appear wider and shorter. the ring is farther down my hand, which creates the illusion of a longer forearm.

The dolhman top is one of my favorite styles. Unfortunately, it's a style I probably shouldn't wear. But you know what? If you love it that much, wear it. even if it's not the most flattering style on you, wear what you like (and is modest, of course.) I've actually received compliments while wearing a dolhman top, but I think it's mostly because I loved what I was wearing. When you love your outfit, you have a beautiful, confident glow. I usually wear mine with a knee length, pencil jean skirt, and a flowy, colorful scarf. It's an outfit that makes me happy, and therefore, is right for me.
Have you discovered your style yet?
I think it's so neat that you are figuring out what works for you, and I like how the maxi skirt/black top/red scarf outfit looks! :) The color choices for your outfit inspirations are also pretty.
ReplyDeleteAt this point, I'm still experimenting with different styles (it depends on how I feel and what I'm doing on a particular day) but I mainly go for a classic look with eclectic and boho elements thrown in. I'm very slender and not quite 5'1" so my restrictions are basically just to try to wear clothes that don't engulf me. :)
That's great that you know what works for you! I'm slowly beginning to figure this out for myself...as a teenager I was always worried about what people thought of how I looked/what I was wearing, but now that I'm older I'm finding my style and realizing it doesn't matter what other people think. :) I love your outfit with the scarf and belt! I have never tried a peplum top, mostly because I wear skirts and I've only ever seen them styled with pants, but you gave me some inspiration! I did recently wear a shorter tunic top with a pencil skirt and it seemed to work well.
ReplyDeleteI am loving the look of peplum tops, but have yet to actually get one for myself. I actually am not good at dressing fashionably at ALL. I'm so lazy. hehe! This year, I would like to acquire a peplum top, a couple stylish scarves, and a couple belts to wear at my natural waist line. I would like to work on putting some effort into my appearance, rather than just wearing whatever is easy. So thank you for inspiring me! =)
ReplyDelete~jaime