My little corner of the web to brighten and encourage.

Monday, May 27, 2013

I am Kristen.



This post has been a long time coming. I just couldn't seem to put my thoughts into words. As girls, we feel so much pressure to be perfect. To look like a super model, think like a genius, and play sports while maintaining perfect hair and makeup (frankly, I never have perfect hair and makeup when I'm not playing sports either.) We see these (photoshopped) pictures all over the magazines and internet of what a woman is "supposed" to look like. We read books where every time a woman is described as beautiful, her description includes being small and feminine. It seems that the word feminine always coincides with the word "small". That's the reason that for years, I thought it was impossible for me to be feminine. Because I wasn't, and am not small. I don't have a cute, pixie, heart-shaped face and petite, model thin body. I'm finally being honest with myself enough to know that I never will. 

But do you know what?

That's ok. 

Because....I am Kristen. 



No one can ask more of me or you, than to be the best version of ourselves that we can be. If I'm not ok with myself, than I am my own stumbling block. That doesn't mean that I shouldn't try to get better at piano, being patient, and staying healthy. It means, that I accept the woman God has made me, and make her into the best Kristen I can be. That also means, that I accept my imperfections, as a part of me. As a part of who I am. Then, and only then, I can be a useful tool for my Lord. 

I took some outfit pictures today. I haven't edited them at all, and I'm not wearing any makeup in any of them. 

This...is Kristen. 








I have scars. 

I have chubby cheeks. 

I have hair with a mind of it's own.

I have yellowed teeth. (from too much coffee.) 

I have a big forehead. 

I have clumsy hands and feet. 

And I have lips that seem to constantly be chapped, no matter what I try. 

But, I also have....

a genuine smile when I meet people.

Dark eyes that see pretty well with my contacts in. 

Ears that are willing to hear others problems, and try to help in whatever way I can.

A mouth that tries it's best to build up others, even though I've gotten in the habit of trying to build up others by tearing myself down. 

Hair that works well either being straightened or curled. 

And an easy laugh. 

There may be others things that other people see in me that I never see in myself. So often we see qualities in others, and fail to see the qualities in ourselves. I know I do. 

So here's my challenge for myself, and anyone else who wants or needs to do this.

Accept who you are. Accept your imperfections as things that help to make up the unique person you are. Thank God for the person He has allowed you to be. And pray for His help to become the greatest version of yourself possible.  



3 comments:

  1. Thanks for writing this Kristen. I know I also tend to build others up by tearing myself down. I'm shy, I have chubby cheeks, wacky eyebrows, and crazy hair. But I also have joyful eyes (that see pretty well with my glasses on!), a passion for piano, and I smile often. I strive to be an encouragement to others.

    All this to say thank you. Be blessed. <3

    ~Jaime Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Kristen! *I'm waving my small, silly hand at you!*

    I love that you dropped by and left a comment the other day. THANK YOU! And I love that I've found where you "live." How is it that I've never been by here before? This shall have to change as I love the bright, joyful, godly happiness your blog emits.

    And thank you for sharing in my happiness. It is so exciting, sister, let me tell you!

    I hope to get to know you better!
    Frannie

    ReplyDelete