My little corner of the web to brighten and encourage.

Thursday, November 8, 2012

Books I'm in Love with

Ok, I know this is a fashion blog, but it's also a personal blog, and reading a ton of great books is what I've been doing. So I'd like to share with ya'll some of my favorite books, favorite authors, and why. 

Is that ok with ya'll? 

Well, here we go! 


"To Win Her Heart" truly won my heart. I finished it in a day. Actually I stayed up till 2AM to finish it. I just could not put it down. I fell in love with the characters, the story, everything. I have a soft spot for books or movies where a person has an insecurity, such as a speech impediment. I fell in love with the giant, awkward, sweet Levi way before Eden did. Probably from page 1. I won't give any spoilers but the end had me sitting up in my bed, reading and flipping pages as quickly as I could. 


"Short Straw Bride" is my second favorite of Karen Witemeyer's four books. I saw it at Walmart, and the title and cover intrigued me. So when I got home I looked it up on Amazon and read the first chapter. Big mistake! I didn't have the money at the time to buy the book, so it was pure torture. This book is well worth the money. 

Here's the other two by Karen Witemeyer, which are both also wonderful, I just liked the two above better.



I'm now a devoted fan of Karen Witemeyer and I'm eagerly awaiting her 5th book! 




Mary Connealy has a gift of writing from a man's point of view. The Kincaid Brides series was my first of her work that I read, and I couldn't stop laughing. Her way of putting their thoughts, the misunderstandings between men and women due to the different thought processes was completely entertaining. My favorite of the three was the third book, due to Seth being my favorite character of the brothers. When the villain first spoke in the first book, I felt an actual shiver. All three books were full of comedy, romance, action, suspense, and mystery with perfect endings. I didn't think she could top herself after this series, but than I started on this book.

I've only read the first of the three books, Petticoat Ranch. 


It's a trilogy, but the library didn't have the other two, so I have to wait until I have some money. I loved all the main characters in this book (with the exception of the villains). There's even a book for each of Sophie's 3 daughters that I can't wait to read as well. 


I got the book, "Jenna's Cowboy" for free from Amazon. I love books about cowboys, so I got it. The story was awesome, and while it is about a cowboy, the story is mostly about Nate's experience in the military in Iraq. It showed me a glimpse of what our military men and women can go through trying to return to being a normal citizen again. It made me appreciate our military even more, and I loved Nate's patriotism. 


After reading the first book, I got the second book from the library. This one turned out to be my favorite of the three in the series, and the only of the three I haven't bought yet. 


I bought this one because the library didn't have it, and I really liked the Callahan family. It's probably my least favorite of the three, although it is still a good book. 

Ok, this post has been long enough, so I'm going to wrap it up. There are several other books I've read, but some I wouldn't recommend for one reason or another. I still have a lot on my "to read" list that the library doesn't have, so I have to wait until I have the money to buy them. 

If you're interested in hearing more book recommendations, comment or email to let me know. 

Have a wonderful day!  

6 comments:

  1. You should try paperback swap. You can swap the books you've alrealy bought for those you want but can't find at the library. I have that problem too and paperbackswap has really helped me. You can get two free credits (worth two books) for just signing upa and listing 10 books. you don't even have to send one out to get those first two credits. When you swap a book you just have to pay shipping, which is cheaper than buying a new book.

    http://www.paperbackswap.com/index.php

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Joann! I discovered paperback swap a few years ago and totally forgot about it. Unfortunately, once I get a book I'm usually pretty attached to it, so I don't know if I would want to give it up. It would have to be a book that I really didn't care for. But thank you for the suggestion! :)

      Delete
  2. I definitely enjoyed this post, Kristen! I'm always looking for new books, so I'll have to add some of these to my reading list. And ahhh, I really want to read some of Karen Witemeyer's books. They sound so good!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you liked it Lindsay! I always enjoy book recommendations, due to the fact I read so fast that I'm constantly running out of books to read.I love Karen Witemeyer's style. She has beautiful, lovable characters with enough conflict in the story to make it real, but she doesn't have everyone dying, you know? I hate books like that. Let me know how you like them once you try them, ok? I'd love to hear your thoughts! :)

      Delete
  3. I love these covers! It looks like a great roundup of Christian fiction where the story is as much about the guy as it is about the girl. I love those! So many here that I hope to read!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Joanne! I love the covers too. I know you're not supposed to judge a book by it's cover, but for me, the cover does usually matter. I've always liked books from a guy's point of view. I guess because of the difference of men/women's thought processes, I find it interesting. Please let me know if you get to read them! I'd love to hear your thoughts on them.

      Delete