My little corner of the web to brighten and encourage.

Monday, October 17, 2011

Daily Appearance

Why do we care about the way we look?

Why do we care if every hair is in place?

Why do we care if our skirt has a rip? Or our shirt has a stain?

Why do we care?

I’ve been thinking this thought all morning, and wanted to give you some reasons on why I care.

The Bible says in 1 Corinthians 3:16-17, “Know ye not that ye are the temple of God, and that the Spirit of God dwelleth in you? If any man defile the temple of God, him shall God destroy; for the temple of God is holy, which temple ye are.”

Also, in chapter six verse 19, “What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own?”

So many people believe that when we go to the church building, we are to wear our best for God. This is true, but if your body IS the Temple of God, shouldn’t you care about your appearance every day? Now, I understand, there is a such thing about caring TOO much, and you end up making your appearance your god. But you should, as a Christian young lady, care to some extent.

When I go to Walmart, I see many girls that look like they just got out of bed, wearing their uncared for hair up in a messy pony tail, with a wrinkled tee shirt, pajama pants, and sometimes, even slippers. You can tell they don’t care at all what they look like. But to finish their look, they throw some makeup on, saying they can’t go anywhere without their makeup.

How much sense does that make?

As a Christian young lady, I understand that God gave me this flesh to glorify Him with. I also understand that we are to be different from the world, which includes in appearance.

Now, I don’t believe you do have to take two hours on your hair, wear your best clothes, a ton of jewelry, and a ton of makeup just to go to Walmart. But you SHOULD stand out among the world, as an ambassador and daughter of the Great King.

A good in between for these two stark contrasts is that when you leave your house to follow these guidelines: teeth brushed, hair brushed, with an outfit that is not wrinkled, stained, or torn, and follows the four L’s as I was taught.

1.     Long
2.    Loose
3.    Lust proof
4.   Ladylike

As a Christian young lady that wants to follow God’s Word on the matters of dress, it’s best to make sure all your clothing meets these criteria.

Of course, it’s also not a bad thing to put your hair up, wear a few complimenting accessories to your outfit, and a little makeup. There’s nothing wrong with that. Just remember who you represent and who you’re trying to please, and keep your guidelines for appearance from the Bible.

Well, I hope this little lesson was a help.

Have a lovely day!

2 comments:

  1. I agree with you, Kristen! Thank you for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you, Miriam, for the encouragement! :)

    ReplyDelete